Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My First Nanny Job, and Jobs leading up to It

Since I was in middle school, I have always had a job. My first job was working in my grandparent's yard. I think they just wanted to have something to do. Every few Saturday's I would go over to my grandparent's house. They had a big yard, full of blossoming roses, daffodils, and many other flowers. They had every type of tree imaginable, and they were all so beautiful. They had a hired yard keeper, so most of the work was done by him and his crew. I doubt my work really impacted the beauty of their yard, but a job was a job. I would rake leaves, pull the hydrangeas, pull weeds and many other small tasks. They would make me lunch and it was always a fun way to spend a Saturday. Beginning in High school, I started to work at my grandparents grocery store, called Vashon Thriftway. Almost all of my family works here today, and it is my second home. I started off as a boxer. This position bags all of the groceries once they have been rung up by the cashier. It was not painfully hard, but it surprised me how some of the other boxers struggled. Some would put bread and soft fruit on the bottom, and many making the bags too heavy. Organizing comes very easy to me, so bagging groceries was a simple task. This job also involved carrying customer's groceries out to their cars in the parking lot. Not many grocery stores do this, but it is a policy at Vashon Thriftway, and the customers really appreciate it. After being a boxer for three years, I showed interest in the Bakery department. The Management at Vashon Thriftway loved the idea and I got to work in the Bakery for a few months before I left for college! There I got to decorate cakes, bake bread, make croutons and fill and face shelves of delicious bakery items. I really enjoyed working in the Bakery Department. Customers were always so happy with their decorated cakes. Vashon Thriftway showed me that I want to work with people for a career. Now you might be thinking, "What does all this have to do with nannying?" Well the answer is that it doesn't! So when I decided I wanted to start nannying, I was a little shocked myself. I had little child care experience, since I was so busy with other things in high school. Moving out to college, I realized that I really wanted a job, since I had always had one in high school. When I heard nannying was a great job here in Kirkland, I figured I would start searching. I looked at many job postings, and sent out many emails, not know what to expect. I heard back from a few families, but one wanted me to come interview right away! I was very nervous, "What if they don't like me? What if I don't have enough experience? What if the baby cries when I hold her?" these were some of my thoughts before my interview. I prayed constantly right before I walked in for the interview, as there was little else I could do. When I met the family, they were very sweet and open to me. They asked questions and it was good because both parties were new to nannying, as it was their first child. The interview went smooth, but they mentioned that they had about six other girls they were interviewing as well. I figured I probably would not get it, since so many other girls probably have more experience than me. About five days later, I got a phone call from the family, they chose me! It was such a sigh of relief, and also one of great excitement! It was a totally new adventure for me! Ever since that interview, I have been a nanny for them. This job has also made it easier when applying for my other two nanny jobs, both of which I got chosen right from the interview! I am very proud of my journey to becoming a nanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment