Monday, March 4, 2013

My Business

          Growing up in a family owned business, I have always been around that mindset. Interested in business, I decided to start my own. The first step I took was deciding on what it was. This step was quite simple because I already had made this product for myself: Hair bows and headbands. I had always make bows out of ribbon for myself for volleyball, so I figured, why not? The next step was making the bows. I bought many colors of ribbon and in all sizes, thick and thin.  My favorites are the ones with polka dots. I decided to target them for younger girls, so I made them their size and age appropriate.

          Packaging was also a whole other process. Each bow had to be placed on an exact proportioned piece of card stock, then placed in a cellophane bag. Then I made the head cards, which are my favorite part. Each is cut to an exact size and stamped and signed by myself, reading "Designed by Christina". It is a very personal touch. That tag is then stapled to the bag that the bow is packaged in then hole punched at the top. This is so it can hang on a clip strip. A clip strip is what holds the bows. These bows I sold at my grandpa's grocery store, and the sell like crazy! It is such a great feeling knowing something that I create by hand is so popular! Doing this, I also got credit through my high school. I was very proud that I made my dream come true. It is something that I do because I truly enjoy it, not for the money.

          My family has been very supportive of me through the entire thing! It has also led me to also start a line of wine charms. To make those, first I have to shape wire into a circle, all exactly the same size. Then I pick glass beads that match, as I sell them in sets of four. I package those then in the same way as I do the bows. I sell my wine charms also at the grocery store! I love making those because I get to target a different crowd. They are in high demand, especially because of the tourists; they like Vashon made items.

          I do not plan to make a career out of this, but it is something I am proud of building and creating on my own. It has pushed me in shaping me in my future, knowing I like to craft and design. I truly believe this will help me in my pursuit in a career in wedding planning. It has been like to gain a better understanding of running a small business, which is crucial in going in to wedding planning. It makes me very happy when I hear and see customers complimenting my products; it is very gratifying. Hopefully, I will start selling some of my sewing projects, because crafting and creating is what I love to do, so why not share my passion. If I keep with this, I hopefully would like to start donating my profits to charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment